My thoughts and opinions on YouTube.

In the last few months I've been feeling like youtube isn't quite the place it used to be. Change is good, but this change feels uneasy, it feels like its pooping on the little guys, and letting the big ones get away with some naughty stuff!
First off I wanna say about this new thing youtube are doing demonetising channels with under 1k subscribers and 4k hours viewing time, I, and the youtubers I know aren't in to youtube for the money, so fine youtube, take it. What I am miffed about is the way that youtube communicated this change. With comments such as it wants to support thriving channels. Clearly there are two sides to this word. Thriving to me is a channel that has creative content that captures me, lovely comments, the channel owner responding to comments, the subscriber count going up slow and steady with people in it genuinely for the content they enjoy. Its clear on these channels that they aren't in it for the money, if it happens then fab, if not then thats ok! You can see they enjoy making videos and engaging with their subscribers. That to me and many others out there is a thriving channel. But youtube says no, a thriving channel is one thats bringing in the big money. And here in lies the upset with smaller youtubers. When you think your doing something amazing, youre having fun and people are loving it, when you're using a platform to do this, than then tells you your channel has no worth, it hurts! You feel angry, unsupported, you lose faith and trust in the platform. 
This is what the issue is. I mean after-all, channels with under 1k subs essentially don't make money anyway! Because it cant be released till you hit £100? Something like that, and channels that small don't make that much. So for people to come out and say they're only upset about the money is completely wrong! 

Next I wanna talk about how my own youtube world has changed. So I’ve kind of started a channel, if you can call it that! Its more of a place for me to use as a video journal, but if people wanna watch what I'm up to then fab. Its also a place for me to develop myself, I’m incredibly camera shy and built up having my face in a shot with music in the background, then I plucked up the courage a few weeks ago to attempt a vlog!! I’m converting a van into campervan and wanted to talk through my electric hook up and the progress I’d made so far and I did it!! Its really helping me to develop some confidence. I also have a terrible memory, so having videos to look back on of what I've been up to is nice knowing I won’t forget it all!
I’ve also changed a lot of the content I watch. I’ve unsubscribed from a lot of larger youtubers in favour of smaller ones. I’ve also been feeling like some of the bigger ones I watch have become quite entitled, like their success has gone to their heads a bit and it turns me right off. I’m so tempted to name and shame right now but no, I’ll save the names for the awesome guys and dolls I've been enjoying! So the only big youtubers I watch on the regular right now is Joe Sugg vlogs, thats another thing, I've shifted from like sit down videos to vlogs! James Charles, Graveyardgirl, and my all time favourite Exploring with Josh, someone send this guy to me for my birthday please! Major crush on this bundle of cuteness!!
These guys are literally the only ones I watch with over a million subs every time they upload. I cant even think of anyone else I watch not very often with over a million!
These guys are a mix of literally a few hundred to a few thousand subs who I cant get enough of! Ellis Woolley, JaackMaate, JessieB, Danelle Hallan, ayydubs, Gabriella Lindley, Bubbaloostitch, Kate Murnane, Rnkall day, Ask a mortician, minimal millenials, Leah Turner, Melanie Murphy, actingmylife.
The list goes on and on, and I want more small channels to watch!! I don't have enough really small channels and I want more! Give me more!!

Since stepping my toe in the van life scene, I’ve noticed a massive shift in the channels I watch, it used to be a certain group and their friends and they all recycled the same videos over and over and copy each other and do tags and stuff and Im just bored with it. Its the same shit over and over! I’ve noticed myself watching more vlogs, travel vlogs, exploring videos, travel content, van life content, channels with real life, channels that show me more of the world and open my eyes to  things I’d never have known, take Ask a Mortician for example, she has opened my eyes, in a time of my life where I was involved in planning many funerals that we have a very “keep death away” attitude and it should be the opposite, I’ve learnt about more eco friendly ways of body disposal and to be more at one with death. This channel meant I was able to take my dog to be put to sleep and instead of avoiding her death, I stayed with her till the end and she died in my arms, I’d have never done this if I hadn't had Caitlin show me that death shouldn't be kept hidden and looked away from and its channels like this that spread education and don't follow the trends that hook me in.

If by any chance there is a person reading this….hahahahaha! No one reads this blog! Get real Vik! Please shout out some small youtubers, if you're a youtuber yourself tag your channel, share the love and lets get those smaller channels out there! But not just youtube, tag your social media too! Hint hint, personally I love a good travel themed instagram, but tag and share and spread the love. 
I’m writing this as if people are actually going to do this, but no one comes to my blog so I’ll just live in my delusion and one can hope haha

Thanks for reading bumheads!

Vikky


X


No comments

Post a Comment