Should I go to uni and live in my van full time?

2 years ago I was all set to head back off to uni to start a masters in forensic anthropology. Before this new venture even started it came crashing to a stop and I had to cancel my place on the course. I’d been suffering from a chronic spinal condition and found out that I’d be needing surgery. I decided the best thing to do was to focus on my health and recover with no distractions so going to uni wasn't an option at the time. 
But now I look back thinking if I had gone, I’d have my masters. And thats depressing as fuck! I know I couldn't change my past so thinking this is stupid because surgery had to happen but I still think where would I be now if my health didn't fail me. Would I be working abroad? Would I be in further education? Would I be making something of my life which I don't feel I am right now?
I’ve been thinking a lot about if going back to uni is the right decision, especially with me wanting to study such a niche course. Jobs are scarce and competition is high. Would I even be working in the field if I had done the degree as planned? Hell my undergrad degree is in animal welfare and management and I work in a food store! 

What would I study? I have a couple of interests, I love bones and the story they can tell about someone, 2 years ago this was linked to forensics, but now I’m becoming more interested in historical remains, so what do I study?! Do I stick with forensic anthropology because that won last time, or do I consider that I’m in a much different place physically and mentally than I was 2 years ago and consider studying osteoarchaeology? I can also include animal remains with this course which I have background in studying so I wouldn't be a total noob like if I was to study forensic anthropology where I have no background. Oh my gaaaaahhhhh I don't know!!

What I do know is I’ve already decided if I was to head back off to uni I'm 99% sure I’d live in my campervan full time. I haven't looked recently but my masters was going to cost £5500 2 years ago, accommodation was a further £3-4000 plus bills on top! Crazy! If I was to live in my van full time I’d have fuel costs, replacing my gas when it ran out and my usual bills such as mobile phone and food. So my overall cost would drastically decrease. Plus I’d absolutely love one day to take the plunge and try living the full time van life. My goal for this year is to get over my fear and try and start making some money from my photography, hopefully growing it into a business and being able to sustain myself living and working from my van. It might never happen, I have major doubts about my photography skills and I'm terrified of fucking up someones wedding or something and I couldn't live with myself if I had to tell newlyweds they had no photos of their special day. Its terrifying!
I think too that having a business already in place before heading off to uni will be super sensible. Easier said than done for this self doubting moron! 

Can you tell I’m just a tad conflicted about the decisions I have ahead of me?! I guess because I lost a good chunk of my twenties to my back problem I'm stuck up on trying to claw back all the things I've missed out on and getting overwhelmed thinking about too much at once! But ultimately I really would love to get in my van and drive off to uni one day.

Disclaimer! I’m a little brain fucked on painkillers writing this! I’ll probably read it tomorrow and take it down because it might make no sense! Or I’ll have forgotten I've written it! Either way I hope you've enjoyed my rambling and if you haven't then you've just wasted precious minutes of your life. 

See ya later monkeys!

Vikky


x


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're doing amazing, you should definitely go for it!! I feel like my twenties is passing me by too because I have felt ill for so much of it, but am enjoying the lovely happy things on top of the depression and tiredness <3 if it makes you happy go for it!! And do things how you want to do them, don't listen to the rest of the world :D your blog is so cute, I love it! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (I would love to follow each other on bloglovin if you like :D)

    ReplyDelete