Taking Norethisterone to delay my period!

I’ve been off the pill since Nov 2015 now and can’t explain how much better I feel being off it. I’d been taking the same pill since I was 15 and only came off it for surgery. But I chose not to go back on it because I just felt different, I find it so hard to explain but I can only really describe it as I felt lighter, I was able to cope with stress and difficult situations better and my mood improved. I was quite lucky in that my periods didn't take too long to come back on a regular cycle and were short and light! Not to brag but I guess I have those periods every girl dreams of! I use an app called clue to track them, as it can predict when your due your next period, along with so many other things so its really come in useful for things like seeing when I’m due to be on when lets say I have a holiday coming up! 
Now the only thing I miss about the pill is that you can just carry on with your next pack to avoid having a period, so when I saw that my period was due to arrive the time I went on holiday I instantly had an AAAHHHHH moment! I didn't actually know there was a pill you could take to delay a period short term until I got myself onto google! What would I do without google! Its my answer to everything! 
Anyway my issue wasn't that I’d be on my period on holiday, it was that I wasn't sure when I’d be due and didn't want it to arrive say on the beach, in my bikini and away from the safety of a bathroom/hotel room! My period usually arrives a few days either side of the apps prediction, and I was due to start the day before I went. On the run up I’d been getting all the tell tale signs it was coming, but it never came! So I panicked and asked my doctor for norethisterone. I was super nervous of taking such a strong hormone to delay my period, plus you're meant to start taking it 3 days before you're due and I started on the day I was due, so I wasn't sure it would even work! I had to take 3 tablets a day for as long as I wanted to delay my period for, for me this was 8 days. Your period will start again a few days after finishing the pill.
Within a few hours all the little cramps I was getting stopped and literally thats all that happened. My period never came and I had no side effects, symptoms of a period, nothing. All I had to remember was to take the damn thing! Haha!
After stopping, it took a week for my period to come and I’d read horror stories of an incredibly painful and heavy period afterwards but luckily my period was as normal, just a few days longer than usual. I noticed my next period was also a day longer than usual but no hassle at all.
I’d definitely use norethisterone again if I needed too, it gave me the chance to relax on holiday not wondering when dear old aunt flo was going to come along! 
I got mine from my doctor but you can also get a prescription for it online from Boots, Superdrug, and Lloyds pharmacy, probably other places too and I believe it costs around £30. 
The stress I felt not knowing when my period was coming really was going to ruin my holiday and I actually considered going back on the pill just to be able to take 2 packets back to back if this ever came up again but right now the pill is not for me and norethisterone has given me the chance to be in control and not fill my body with hormones everyday that I don't need right now from taking the contraceptive pill.

Thanks for reading!

Vikky


x

No comments

Post a Comment