My problematic skin.

I wanted to write about the troubles I have been having with my skin in the last couple of years.

I have eczema.

I had eczema as a child, but as most children do, I grew out of it. My skin had never really been an issue until a few years ago. Aged 22 I was diagnosed with lots of allergies, both to food and environmental allergens, after a life threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
Since my nut allergy diagnosis, I have noticed other allergic conditions have been getting gradually worse since then. I am now 27 and I am living with eczema that effects my legs, inside of my left elbow, my left arm and face/neck.
The problem arises in that all the usual creams and lotions and potions used to treat eczema make it worse! I have had mild allergic reactions to all the emollient creams and have exhausted my Gp's list of creams to prescribe. I am able to use steroid cream but I hate to use it for long as I know it isn't good for you.
I am actually starting to question now whether I do have eczema or some other allergic skin condition. Am I coming into contact with something in my environment that is causing it? I definitely know that make up is a trigger for a flare up on my face. This means I rarely wear make up!  Sometimes I'm glad of that as I don't have to spend ages putting a face on before I go out, then other times I want to make that effort to look nice and can't. I do wear make up for things like weddings, parties and things, but I always suffer with itchy, dry, red skin around my eyes, forehead and neck after. Its a real inconvenience! Sometimes I wonder have a missed something ingredients wise but I always check cosmetics and toiletries for nut ingredients just in case it may be that causing a flare up but everything I use is nut free. I also take a shit tonne of antihistamine daily so I can survive with all the environmental allergens I have so if my flare ups are allergy related its gotta be something I'm pretty allergic to hasn't it? Ive been to see the Gp numerous times about my skin and a possible other food allergy however I was told to wait because I had another health problem more serious at the time, and the Doctor wanted to get that sorted first. But the doctor who agreed to help once I was the other side of the more serious health problem has now retired! So I now have to try and convince another Doctor to listen and try to help! Wish me luck!
I have a big party coming up at the weekend, it is a charity fundraiser, raising money for Brains Unite, a Brain Tumour Charity Trust, and I have been searching for a dress that will equally cover my legs and arms! But no such dress exists! So I am going to try and stand proud, and wear my dodgy skin with pride. It is something I cant change right now so I want to choose the "I give no f*cks" attitude. If people have a problem with how my skin looks then its their problem, not mine. They can look somewhere else if it bothers them that much!
I am trying a brand of make up I haven't used before for the fundraiser, Boots No7. I have been using their cleanser and day cream and so far my skin seems to be tolerating it so I thought trying the make up might be a good way to go.
As for my legs and arms I haven't found anything to put on them that doesn't burn, and make it worse. I also get bruises on my legs from scratching them. I am trying lots of different ways to reduce this, as I mostly scratch in bed, I am making sure I wear long cotton pjs and I will be investing in some gloves to try and see if that will stop me scratching. I can see myself pulling them off in my sleep but I'm willing to try anything.
I wanted to share as I know eczema can affect all sorts of people and that it can be embarrassing to deal with, especially as a 27 year old woman! Eczema sort of has the stigma of a child's problem but it can effect anyone.
I also wondered if anyone was in a similar situation and wanted to chat about it? Share things that have worked for them?

Thanks for reading!

Vikky

x

No comments

Post a Comment