Makeup vs bare face: a look at our relationship with makeup.

Lets talk make up. Rather the lack of. A naked face, bare face, whatever you want to call it. I am allergic to a lot of make up, and when I do wear make up for an interview, parties, days out I always suffer with eczema that takes me months to clear up. For this reason, most of the time I wear my naked face with pride.

But recently I've been feeling a little inadequate, less of a woman, less professional because I dare to leave the house with no make up on. People don't know that I am allergic to makeup, but I am still judged. How is this acceptable? I was refused a job a year ago purely because the person hiring me expected me to have a full face of makeup on at interview, and I didn't. I wasn't professional enough! Wtf! Forgetting the reason I wasn't wearing makeup this struck a cord with me, women are expected to wear makeup no matter what. 

As I get more active in discovering new blogs and youtube channels I realise blogosphere is full of make up tutorials and product reviews, I am guilty of this myself, but this post is no means a bash at the beautiful people who write about this stuff, I mean I read and watch it for a reason! I love seeing people expressing their creativity with make up and sharing that with us all. I love that they are passionate about wearing make up and exploring new looks and creating art. I totally appreciate why beauty bloggers do this. But in reading more posts and seeing all the different looks and products out there I made myself feel ashamed because I can’t wear all these lovely things. Its difficult when people in the spotlight are routinely covering up a freckle, dark circles, a spot, a skin condition, to not think that it must be right to cover these things up, and that its shameful to have them on show. Its like being brainwashed that make up is the norm and to rock a bare face is sacrilege. But why should I feel this way? I've been bare faced 99% of my life and never let it get to me. I'm still figuring this out. 

There seems to be so much pressure out there at the moment that its expected that us girlies should have make up on. When did this become acceptable?! Because am I alone in thinking this is ludicrous?! Teens these days have enough pressure on them, and I hate to think that make up is now such a part of life that kids will get bullied for not slapping a face on before they go to school or college or go out with their friends, its wrong! But its not just teens, I am 28 and I have had my confidence knocked because I leave my house with a bare face most of the time.

I’m not trying to create some big movement here where I'm telling people to ditch the make up and go bare faced! Far from it! What I am trying to say is its ok to not wear make up. Its also ok to wear make up. Whats not ok is thinking you have to wear make up, feeling pressured into wearing make up, equally feeling pressured not to wear make up. It is disgusting that people think that a bare faced woman is unprofessional and the misconception that a bare face means you don't take care of yourself is utter bullshit and this needs to stop! Us ladies need to make sure we support each other no matter what our make up choices may be and stand together to help every woman feel confident in their own skin.
Here is my totally naked face! Love it, loathe it, I don't care!



Thanks for reading!

Vikky

No comments

Post a Comment