Blogmas Day 6: Donating to the elderly at Christmas.

Last year my Nana was rushed into hospital unexpectedly just before Christmas. We found out she had cancer and she passed away after her 8 day stay in hospital over the Christmas period. On our visit to her on Christmas day the ward staff wheeled in a big trolly full of gift bags and handed each patient a present. 
Turns out AgeUK collect donations of gift bags for the elderly who are in hospital on Christmas day. I didn't know this was a thing! I’d heard of people donating toys to children's wards but didn't realise there was anything for the elderly.

I was overwhelmed at how happy the patients, including my Nana was at receiving a gift on Christmas day. The entire mood lifted and we managed to share a moment of festivities together as a ward. The staff clearly enjoyed themselves too which was lovely to see. My nana received some body cream, which she didn't hesitate to try out, a puzzle book, a cake bar and a few other bits and bobs. As trivial as it sounds it really made a difference to not just my nana but to every patient. 
It broke my heart that some patients I spoke to hadn't had a single visitor since being admitted, nothing. And thats why this year I just had to get involved. 

I don't have much money, so this year I've decided to skimp a bit on friends and families pressies so I had some spare money to buy gifts for my bags. I don't know why but I decided on putting together 6 gift bags! I wanted to get things that would actually be useful for a stay in hospital so I went for things like face wipes, hand wipes, lip balm, hand cream, cosy socks, and things to keep occupied like puzzle books, a small colouring book and some pencils, in the mens bags I've put a maze puzzle in there. And for that festive feeling everyone has a candy cane and Christmas card. 

Please have a think this Christmas if you can spare a few pounds to put together a gift bag to donate. Some of the elderly in hospital this Christmas wont be coming home and even though it may not seem like much it really will make a difference and brighten up their Christmas day.

I will be taking my bags to AgeUK, they will then sort through them all and get them to Leicester Royal Infirmary, Glenfield Hospital and Leicester General Hospital for Christmas day.
Have a check with your local charities and hospitals to see what scheme they run for donating and always make sure you stick to the guidelines when donating with regards to gifts. Some items are prohibited.

There wont be a Christmas that goes by now that I will not do this. Next year I'm going to try and get my workplace involved and start getting gifts together a bit earlier so I can hopefully make 10 gift bags next year.

But if you've read this post and feel inspired to donate its not too late, AgeUK and the Leicester hospitals are taking donations up until the 16th December so if you would like to get something together for this Christmas then you still have time.

I will definitely be sparing a thought for all those who have found themselves in hospital this Christmas and the staff who spend their time away from their own families to care for yours. They really are true heroes to us all.

If you decide you'd like to donate but don't have time or don't fancy putting a gift bag together then maybe consider a donation to a charity you care about this Christmas, while its not a specific gift going to a person its helping a charity to continue doing incredible things. Most charities are easy to donate to by going online.

Thank you so much for checking this post out.

Vikky


X


No comments

Post a Comment